Precision Devices, Inc. Surface Finish Measurement System
The system features the PDI's robust and easy-to-use Surfometer Series-800 system and a sophisticated custom fixture to enable accurate and productive measurement of surface finish on a transmission case at multiple locations.
- The pilotor (or traverse unit) is mounted on an XYZ translation slide and the part is mounted on a rotary table with two rotational degrees of freedom. Locking mechanisms are provided to ensure safe and accurate measurement at each location. A total of five degrees of freedom allows the relative positioning of the part and tracer such that 13 locations where surface finish is specified can be conveniently checked.
- A wall chart with color-coded check locations and their surface finish specifications is an integrated part of the system (the system even comes with the wall included!). The color codes on the wall chart match color codes on the adjustment mechanisms on the translation slide and rotary table.
- The use of skidded datum minimizes environmental impact and facilitates measurement setup.
- The modular Series-800 system can be easily upgraded with more parameters and output capabilities as new process or functional requirements arise.
- surface parameter and profile data can be uploaded to another computer to be stored for further analysis or statistical process control.
Three part-tracer configurations